S05- Project Extension for Community Health Care Outcomes (ECHO) as an Education Force Maximizer
This activity is designed to meet the educational needs of Physicians, Nurses, Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Physician Assistants, Optometrists, Social Workers, Psychologists, Counselors, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, Kinesiotherapists, Healthcare Executives, and other health care professionals who support/ care for U.S. active-duty service members, reservists, National Guardsmen, military veterans and their families.
- Define project ECHO®
- Identify the four key components of the ECHO® model.
- Distinguish between telemedicine and telemonitoring.
- Recognize two examples of Project ECHO's current use in DHA/MHS.
- Sharon Morgan, Laurie Lutz, Robin Swift and Joanna Katzman have no relevant financial or non-financial relationships to disclose relating to the content of this activity.
- The views expressed in this presentation are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Department of Defense, not the U.S. Government.
- This continuing education activity is managed and accredited by the Defense Health Agency J-7 Continuing Education Program Office (DHA J-7 CEPO). DHA J-7 CEPO and all accrediting organizations do not support or endorse any product or service mentioned in this activity.
- DHA J-7 CEPO staff, as well as activity planners and reviewers have no relevant financial or non-financial interest to disclose.
- Commercial support was not received for this activity.
Laurie Lutz, PhD
Chief of Training, Education and Simulation, Extremity Trauma and Amputation Center of Excellence
Las Vegas, NV
Dr. Laurie Lutz is currently serving as the Chief of Training, Education and Simulation for the Extremity Trauma and Amputation Center of Excellence (EACE).
She established the Amputation Care ECHO in October of 2017; the first ECHO to address amputation care in the Department of Defense. EACE's Amputation Care ECHO has now grown to include Military Treatment Facilities, Veterans Affairs and civilian providers involved in amputation care.
Dr. Lutz attained both her bachelors and master’s degrees at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas and her doctorate degree from Texas A&M University, located in College Station, Texas.
Sharon Morgan, MSN, RN, NP-C
Nurse Consultant, Connected Health Branch, Clinical Support Division, Medical Affairs, Defense Health Agency
Silver Spring, Md.
Ms. Sharon Morgan is currently working at the Defense Health Agency as a Nurse Consultant for the Connected Health Branch which is located in Medical Affairs.
She is a Registered Nurse (RN) and a certified Adult Nurse Practitioner (NP-C). She has over 25 years of clinical nursing experience working in diverse practice settings such as critical care, hospice and palliative care, integrative health and underserved populations in Guatemala. Prior to a career in nursing, Ms. Morgan was a Military Intelligence Officer and Geopolitical Analyst.
Joanna Katzman, MD, MSPH
Joanna Katzman, is currently a Professor of Neurology at the University of New Mexico, and the Senior Associate Director of the ECHO Institute. In 2008, Dr. Katzman began the ECHO Pain and Opioid Management teleECHO program. This program has been replicated by the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Indian Health Service, over 30 academic medical centers and the province of Ontario in Canada.
Dr. Katzman earned her medical degree from Yale University, her Master’s in Public Health from the University of California in Los Angeles and her Bachelors of Art in human biology from Stanford University.
Dr. Katzman is a special governmental employee for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), has served on two Institute of Medicine (IOM) Committees related to the Gulf War and Health
Robin Swift, MPH
- 1.00 AAPADHA J-7 CEPO has been authorized by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) to award AAPA Category 1 CME credit for activities planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 1.00 hours of AAPA Category 1 CME credits. Physician assistants should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
- 1.00 ACHEDHA J-7 CEPO is authorized to award a maximum of 1.00 hours of pre-approved American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) Qualified Education credit for this program toward advancement, or recertification in the American College of Healthcare Executives. Participants in this program who wish to have the continuing education hours applied toward ACHE Qualified Education credit must self-report their participation. To self-report, participants must log into their MyACHE account and select ACHE Qualified Education Credit.
- 1.00 ACPE PharmacistUAN JA4008136-0000-19-102-L04-P
No valid paper/electronic statement of credit will be offered. DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) to provide continuing education for Pharmacists. This knowledge based activity will provide a maximum of 1.00 contact hours of pharmacy continuing education credit. Participant CE records will be electronically communicated to CPE Monitor. There is no cost to participate in this activity.
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacy technicianUAN JA4008136-0000-19-102-L04-T
No valid paper/electronic statement of credit will be offered. DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) to provide continuing education for Pharmacy Technicians. This knowledge based activity will provide a maximum of 1.00 contact hours of pharmacy continuing education credit. Participant CE records will be electronically communicated to CPE Monitor. There is no cost to participate in this activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 ANCCDHA J-7 CEPO is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this activity. Continuing Nursing Education activity for a maximum of 1.00 contact hours Nurses should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 AOTA1.000.1 AOTA CEUs. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.The Defense Health Agency J-7 Continuing Education Program Office is an American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) Approved Provider of continuing education. This activity was planned by and for the health care team, and learners will receive
- 1.00 APAContinuing Education (CE) credits for psychologists are provided through the co- sponsorship of the American Psychological Association (APA) Office of Continuing Education in Psychology (CEP). The APA CEP Office maintains responsibly for the content of the programs. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this activity for a maximum of 1.00 CE credits. The instructional level of this activity is intermediate. There is no cost to participate.
- 1.00 ARBO/COPEThis activity has been approved by ARBO/COPE. The Defense Health Agency J-7 Continuing Education Program Office designated this activity for a maximum of 1.00 credit hours. Optometrists should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
COPE Course ID #:
COPE Activity/Event #:
- 1.00 ASWBAs a Jointly Accredited Organization, DHA J-7 CEPO is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. DHA J-7 CEPO maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive a maximum of 1.00 ASWB continuing education credits.
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.00 CCMCThis program has been pre-approved by The Commission for Case Manager Certification to provide continuing education credit to CCM® board certified case managers. The course is approved for up to 1.00 CE contact hours.
Activity Code: I00038511 Approval Number: 190003032
- 1.00 COPSKTProvider # is 082219
This continuing education activity has been accredited by The Council on Professional Standards for Kinesiotherapy (COPSKT) to include 1.00 contact hours/0.1 CEU. DHA, J-7, CEPO accredits enterprise-wide continuing education activities for military and civilian health care professionals. These courses are critical to DHA’s goal of providing the best possible quality care to active duty service members, veterans, and their families.
- 1.00 IPCEThis activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners can receive up to 1.00 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change. In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by DHA, J-7, CEPO. DHA, J-7, CEPO is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP), and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to provide continuing education for the health care team.
- 1.00 NBCCDHA J-7 CEPO has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6955. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. DHA J-7 CEPO is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- 1.00 Physical Therapists (ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit)DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education. Physical Therapists will be provided a certificate of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physical Therapists may receive a maximum of 1.00 hours for completing this activity.