Capstone Course for Military Health System Leaders
The LEADS Capstone Course is a pinnacle educational event for senior leaders in the Military Health System (MHS). Speakers include but are not limited to, the Service Surgeons General, senior leaders and staff from the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, Director DHA, the Surgeon General of the U.S., and the Department of Veterans Affairs. They present the most current information on hot topic health issues, HRO, TRICARE, military transformation, policy, and legislation, just to mention a few. The Course is held three times a year in the National Capital Region.
Physicians, nurses, healthcare executives, A certificate of attendance is available for other attendees.
- 1. Have an enhanced understanding of MHS policymaking including how policies are disseminated and the legal basis for those policies.
- Gain a deeper sense of TRICARE issues and policies that shape the delivery of DoD healthcare.
- Become familiarized with information systems to support executive decision-making, as well as tools for evaluating quality assurance, customer satisfaction, and metrics.
- Have the opportunity to discuss issues of retention and recruitment from the military and national perspectives as well as financial and business matters as they relate to the MHS.
- Share networking opportunities to include, but not limited to the Surgeons General, members of other services serving in similar capacities, OSD leaders including Deputy Secretaries, the VA, civilian health program managers, and academia.
- Become familiar with unique ways of dealing with human relations and gain a better appreciation for the way they are perceived by others.
- Exchange ideas on current issues such as risk management, patient safety, Homeland Security, bioterrorism, war fighters (the line) and Reserve Forces.
- Gain an enhanced appreciation for transformation and fiscal issues within the DoD
Faculty Name MD
Falls Church, VA
Faculty Name MD
Falls Church, VA
Laurie Powell Rafferty is the lead ethics attorney for the Defense Health Agency (DHA). She has held this position since 2008. Prior to DHA, Laurie was an ethics attorney for the U.S. Department of Commerce, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and the U.S. Office of Government Ethics.
She has given numerous presentations on the Criminal Conflict of Interest Statutes and the Standards of Conduct regulation, and reviewed tens of thousands of financial disclosure reports.
Laurie also practiced in the Employment and Labor Law area for the Defense Contract Audit Agency, the Resolution Trust Corporation, and the Commerce Department.
Prior to her Government service, Laurie worked for a small, private law firm in Washington, DC. Laurie graduated from the College of William and Mary in Virginia with an AB in English, and the George Mason University School of Law with a JD.
She is a member of the Virginia, Maryland and District of Columbia bars.
DHA J-7 staff, Planning Committee Members and reviewers have no financial or non-financial interest to disclose. All faculty members have no financial or non-financial interest to disclose.
ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
Certificate of Attendance