October 2019 Integrated Operational Support Workshop
This five day course is taught by experts in embedded mental health care and operational psychology for newly assigned providers/technicians going into or interested in IOS assignments. Participants will gain an awareness of the basic skills necessary for mental health providers and technicians assigned to embedded IOS roles for a wide range of communities (i.e., Special Warfare, AFSPC Aircrew, Intelligence).
1. Better facilitate communication between the POTFF Team and Unit Personnel with common operating language.
2. Put practices and procedures in place to continue stigma reduction of help seeking behaviors.
3. Distinguish between IOS versus traditional mental health care.
4. Examine the steps of a basic process improvement model which can be applied to IOS consulting problem sets.
5. Identify necessary interpersonal attributes to provide high quality embedded support.
6. Explain the potential ethical pitfalls inherent in the role of an embedded consultant.
7. Articulate methods for maximizing team member capabilities and balancing provider/technician workload.
8. Analyze key attributes that contribute to being an effective consultant.
9. Describe consultation methods regarding leader support to individual Airmen.
10. Select common consultation topics for commanders and other leaders.
11. Comprehend differences between "coaching/consultation", limited scope care, primary care and specialty care.
12. Understand evolving ethical dilemmas and challenges for embedded personnel.
13. Learn to make recommendations for ethical role management.
14. Discuss ethical decision making in the field.
15. Interpret metrics that capture performance of IOS activities.
16. Assess the Air Force as a system and seek opportunities to intervene at both the individual and systematic level.
Arthur L. Miller, Psy.D., ABPP. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Lt. Col.Thomas Magee, BSC, ABPP, FAACP. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Anne H. Shadle, Ph.D., M.Ed. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Col. David H. Dickey, Ph.D. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Wayne Chappelle, Ph.D. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Kirk L. Rowe, Ph.D., ABPP. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Defense Health Agency J-7 Continuing Education Program Office staff, planning and review committees have no financial or non-financial interest to disclose.
This CE activity is provided by the DHA J-7 Continuing Education Program Office (CEPO). This activity provides continuing education for psychologists and social workers. A certificate of attendance is available for other attendees.
- 12.50 APAContinuing Education (CE) credits for psychologists are provided through the co- sponsorship of the American Psychological Association (APA) Office of Continuing Education in Psychology (CEP). The APA CEP Office maintains responsibly for the content of the programs. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this activity for a maximum of 12.50 CE credits. The instructional level of this activity is intermediate. There is no cost to participate.
- 12.50 ASWBAs a Jointly Accredited Organization, DHA J-7 CEPO is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. DHA J-7 CEPO maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive a maximum of 12.50 ASWB continuing education credits.
- 12.50 Certificate of Attendance
- 12.50 IPCEThis activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners can receive up to 12.50 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change. In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by DHA J-7 CEPO. DHA, J-7, CEPO is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), the American Psychological Association (APA), and the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP) to provide continuing education for the health care team.