Ethical Decision Making in Military Contexts
This ethics workshop will address ethical decision-making, the relationship between ethics and legal mandates, and ways to minimize exposure to legal and ethical liability. The workshop will include a discussion of the APA Ethics Code, with a focus on the structure of the Code and an exploration of the Code's aspirational and enforceable aspects. Multiple case vignettes will be used to illustrate ethical decision-making applied in actual clinical practice, with the Ethics Code conceptualized as a tool to assist health care providers in resolving ethical dilemmas in addition to the Code's role in setting forth ethical obligations and prohibitions. The workshop will place special emphasis on the role of psychology within complex organizations (such as the military) and issues of dual agency.
This CE/CME activity is accredited by the DHA, J-7, Continuing Education Program Office (CEPO). This activity provides continuing education for physicians, nurses, physician assistants, psychologists. A certificate of attendance is available for other attendees.
- Identify a process for resolving ethical dilemmas.
- Comprehend how ethics codes may be used as tools to facilitate ethical decision making.
- Integrate ethical decision making with legal and clinical considerations.
- 3.00 AAPADHA J-7 CEPO has been authorized by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) to award AAPA Category 1 CME credit for activities planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 3.00 hours of AAPA Category 1 CME credits. Physician assistants should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this Internet Live Course activity for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 3.00 ANCCThe DHA, J-7, CEPO is accredited by the Joint Accreditation/ Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) to provide this Continuing Nursing Education Internet Live Course for a maximum of 3.00 ANCC contact hours. Nurses should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 3.00 APAContinuing Education (CE) credits for psychologists are provided through the co-sponsorship of the American Psychological Association (APA) Office of Continuing Education in Psychology (CEP). The DHA, J7, CEPO maintains responsibility for the content of the programs. DHA, J-7, CEPO designated this activity for a maximum of 3.00 CE credits. The instructional level of this activity is intermediate. There is no cost to participate.
- 3.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 3.00 IPCEThis activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners can receive up to 3.00 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change. In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by DHA, J-7, CEPO. DHA, J-7, CEPO is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP), and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to provide continuing education for the health care team.