DHA HS: DHA-US001 HIPAA and Privacy Act Training, APR 2021
*Requirement: The learner must complete the activity and pass the posttest in JKO prior to claiming CE credit. (https://jko.jten.mil/). The Access Code to register for the course will be provided upon completion of the course in JKO*
This course provides an overview of two critical privacy laws - the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 and the Privacy Act of 1974 - and discusses how these laws are applicable to the Military Health System (MHS). This training provides high-level regulatory standards that apply the same to operations staff, clinical staff, and senior management.
This activity provides continuing education for physicians, nurses, health information professionals, and healthcare executives. A certificate of attendance is available for other attendees.
- Recognize the relationship between the Privacy Act and HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules.
- Discuss the DoD Privacy Program and DoD Privacy and Security Regulation requirements and their associated regulations (DoD 5400.11-R, DoD 6025.18-R, and DoD 8580.02-R).
- Explain the requirements for protecting personally identifiable information (PII) and protected health information (PHI).
- Summarize the impact of privacy and/or security data breaches.
- Define the roles and responsibilities of the workforce when working in covered entities or MTFs.
- 1.00 ACCME Non-Physician CME CreditDHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education. ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit providers will be provided a certificate of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit providers may receive a maximum of 1.00 hours for completing this Enduring Material (Home Study) activity.
- 1.00 ACHEDHA J-7 CEPO is authorized to award a maximum of 1.00 hours of pre-approved American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) Qualified Education credit for this program toward advancement, or recertification in the American College of Healthcare Executives. Participants in this program who wish to have the continuing education hours applied toward ACHE Qualified Education credit must self-report their participation. To self-report, participants must log into their MyACHE account and select ACHE Qualified Education Credit.
- 1.00 AHIMAAmerican Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)This program has been approved for 1.00 continuing education unit(s) for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this Enduring Material (Home Study) activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 ANCCThe DHA, J-7, CEPO is accredited by the Joint Accreditation/ Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) to provide this Continuing Nursing Education Enduring Material (Home Study) for a maximum of 1.00 ANCC contact hours. Nurses should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.00 IPCEThis activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners can receive up to 1.00 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change. In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by DHA, J-7, CEPO. DHA, J-7, CEPO is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP), and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to provide continuing education for the health care team.