Collaborative Auditory Vestibular Research Network (CAVRN): Assessment and Management of Dizziness and Visual Disturbances Following Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (mTBI)
The Collaborative Auditory Vestibular Research Network (CAVRN) is organized as virtual webinar led by the Defense Health Agency’s Hearing Center of Excellence (HCE). CAVRN will be held jointly with the Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence (TBICOE) and the Vision Center of Excellence (VCE) for multidisciplinary collaboration to address dizziness and visual disturbances commonly reported after mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI). These symptoms represent possible disruptions to vestibular and/or ocular systems, and to their associated neural circuitry. The CAVRN webinar will include an introduction to underlying mechanisms; a clinical perspective discussion panel including experts in primary care, vestibular physical therapy, neurology, and neuro-ophthalmology; research presentations; and collaborative exploration of future directions.
This activity provides continuing education for Physicians, Audiologists, Physician assistants, Nurses, Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants, Optometrists, Speech Language Pathologists, Physical Therapists, and Social Workers. A certificate of attendance is available for other attendees.
- Discuss dizziness and visual disturbance in relation to mTBI.
- Explain when a referral to a specialty provider is warranted in patients with dizziness after mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI).
- Describe the clinical management of patients with dizziness symptoms after mTBI.
- Outline the role of different providers in the multidisciplinary team managing dizziness after mTBI.
Lt Col Thomas Bayuk, D.O., Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences
LTC Jason Harris, M.D., Brook Army Medical
Mark Ettenhoffer Ph.D., Naval Medical Center San Diego
Amanda Frank, P.T., D.P.T., A.T.C., Hearing Center of Excellence
Amanda Gano, P.A., Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence
Karen Lambert, P.T., D.P.T., N.C.S., Hearing Center of Excellence
Michael Pattison, O.D., M.S., Vision Center of Excellence
Robin Winslow, O.D., Intrepid Spirit Center, Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
- 3.00 AAPADHA J-7 CEPO has been authorized by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) to award AAPA Category 1 CME credit for activities planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 3.00 hours of AAPA Category 1 CME credits. Physician assistants should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
- 3.00 ACCME Non-Physician CME CreditDHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education. ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit providers will be provided a certificate of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit providers may receive a maximum of 3.00 hours for completing this Internet Live Course activity.
- 3.00 ACPE PharmacistUAN JA4008136-0000-22-254-L01-P
No valid paper/electronic statement of credit will be offered. DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) to provide continuing education for Pharmacists. This knowledge based activity will provide a maximum of 3.00 contact hours of pharmacy continuing education credit. Participant CE records will be electronically communicated to CPE Monitor. There is no cost to participate in this activity.
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this Internet Live Course activity for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 3.00 ANCCThe DHA, J-7, CEPO is accredited by the Joint Accreditation/ Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) to provide this Continuing Nursing Education Internet Live Course for a maximum of 3.00 ANCC contact hours. Nurses should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 3.00 AOTAThe Defense Health Agency, J-7, Continuing Education Program Office is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# UPDATE. This Distance Learning-Interactive course is offered at 0.3 CEUs, [intermediate level], [OT service delivery, foundational knowledge]. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
- 3.00 APTAAmerican Physical Therapy Association (APTA)The DHA, J-7, CEPO is an American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Approved Provider of continuing education. This activity was planned by and for the health care team, and learners will receive 0.3 APTA CEUs. The assignment of APTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by APTA. APTA CEUs are accepted by most state PT licensing boards. Learners are encouraged to check with their local chapter or state board to ensure that they accept APTA accredited courses for licensure renewal.
- 3.00 ARBO/COPEThis activity has been approved by ARBO/COPE. The Defense Health Agency J-7 Continuing Education Program Office designated this activity for a maximum of 3.00 credit hours. Optometrists should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
COPE Course ID #: 81640-NO
COPE Activity/Event #: 125001
- 3.00 ASHAAmerican Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA)
Course # is
Intermediate Level LevelDefense Health Agency, J-7, Continuing Education Program Office is approved by the Continuing Education board of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) to provide continuing education activities in speech-language pathology, and audiology. ASHA CE Provider approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products or clinical procedures.
0.3 ASHA CEUs
- 3.00 ASWBAs a Jointly Accredited Organization, DHA J-7 CEPO is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. DHA J-7 CEPO maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive a maximum of 3.00 ASWB continuing education credits.
- 3.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 3.00 IPCEThis activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners can receive up to 3.00 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change. In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by DHA, J-7, CEPO. DHA, J-7, CEPO is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP), and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to provide continuing education for the health care team.