BAMC Lunch and Learn Primary Care Webinar Series: Pharmacotherapy: Non-Insulin Medications for Diabetes Mellitus, 14 APR 2021
The Lunch and Learn Webinar Series is designed to keep providers and allied healthcare personnel aware of and educated on a wide variety of topics involving the diagnosis and treatment of patients. Areas of coverage will include: pharmacology/new drugs, deployment medicine, orthopedics, sports medicine, interdisciplinary teams, and other specialty care. Presenters will promote effective communication with patients, families, communities, and other health professionals in a responsive and responsible manner that supports a team approach to the maintenance of health and the treatment of disease.
This activity provides continuing education for physicians, nurses, physician assistants, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians. A certificate of attendance is available for other attendees.
- Define classes of oral/injectable medications, explain use and assess effectiveness in treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM).
- State factors to consider when prescribing medications to treat diabetes and determine proper management.
- Apply the Veterans Affairs/Department of Defense (VA/DoD) sequential approach plan medical management of diabetes.
- Recognize elements in a clinical case study to construct a treatment plan.
Adobe Connect Link
Lunch and Learn Adobe Connect Room
Maj Jeffrey Colburn is the Program Director for the Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism Fellowship at the San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium. He has published articles in the field of diabetes care, including serving as Chair for the 2017 VA/DoD Diabetes clinical practice guidelines published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
Col Jason Okulicz graduated from Rutgers University College of Pharmacy and then received his MD degree from UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School. He completed both residency training in Internal Medicine and fellowship training in Infectious Diseases at Wilford Hall and Brooke Army Medical Centers in San Antonio, TX. Col Okulicz is the Infectious Disease Consultant to the USAF Surgeon General Chair of the DHA Tri-Service Infectious Disease Working Group. He is an active researcher with over 100 publications and book chapters and received the USAF Outstanding Achievement in Clinical Research Award. He is a Professor of Medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and has academic appointments at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, University of the Incarnate Word Feik School of Pharmacy, and the University of Texas at San Antonio.
Air Force Colonel Jason Okulicz
- 1.00 AAPADHA J-7 CEPO has been authorized by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) to award AAPA Category 1 CME credit for activities planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 1.00 hours of AAPA Category 1 CME credits. Physician assistants should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
- 1.00 ACCME Non-Physician CME CreditDHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education. ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit providers will be provided a certificate of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. ACCME Non-Physician CME Credit providers may receive a maximum of 1.00 hours for completing this Internet Live Course activity.
- 1.00 ACPE PharmacistUAN JA4008136-0000-21-091-L04-P
No valid paper/electronic statement of credit will be offered. DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) to provide continuing education for Pharmacists. This knowledge based activity will provide a maximum of 1.00 contact hours of pharmacy continuing education credit. Participant CE records will be electronically communicated to CPE Monitor. There is no cost to participate in this activity.
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacy technicianUAN JA4008136-0000-21-091-L04-T
No valid paper/electronic statement of credit will be offered. DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) to provide continuing education for Pharmacy Technicians. This knowledge based activity will provide a maximum of 1.00 contact hours of pharmacy continuing education credit. Participant CE records will be electronically communicated to CPE Monitor. There is no cost to participate in this activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™DHA J-7 CEPO is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DHA J-7 CEPO designated this Internet Live Course activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 ANCCThe DHA, J-7, CEPO is accredited by the Joint Accreditation/ Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) to provide this Continuing Nursing Education Internet Live Course for a maximum of 1.00 ANCC contact hours. Nurses should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.00 IPCEThis activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners can receive up to 1.00 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change. In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by DHA, J-7, CEPO. DHA, J-7, CEPO is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP), and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to provide continuing education for the health care team.