2022 Navy Social Work Symposium
This activity provides continuing education for social workers. A certificate of attendance is available for other attendees.
November 17, 2022
- Describe the history, status, and anticipated way ahead for Navy EMH.
- Comprehend fundamental EMH activities, expected outcomes, and know how to find and utilize key resources (including EMH Guidebooks).
- Demonstrate ways to establish good communication and battle rhythms in respective EMH programs.
- Evaluate potential EMH provider challenges and suggested strategies to navigate those challenges, including preventing burnout.
- Describe the history, status, and anticipated way ahead for Navy Coaching.
- Communicate how to build and sustain a Navy coaching culture by utilizing critical open-ended questions and identifying the coaching core competencies.
- Demonstrate key components to starting a “coach like” conversation, avoid “box canyon” questions and utilize critical pauses to support open dialogue.
- Differentiate between coaching, mentorship, and therapy.
November 18, 2022
- Analyze the critical components of a comprehensive definition of moral injury.
- Distinguish moral injury from morally injurious events and common co-occurring problems.
- Apply strategies for the assessment and treatment of moral injury.
- Describe differences in gender demographics for men and women are in the military.
- Analyze recent policy changes related to women.
- Critique the DoD’s implementation of the International Humanitarian Law on Women, Peace and Security.
- Specify difficulties women experience in the masculine military culture.
- Describe problems opening combat roles to women.
- Apply issues for military women to behavioral health assessment and treatment.
- Analyze factors contributing to poor sleep for military personnel.
- Evaluate the relationship between sleep disorders and substance use.
- Increase awareness of microaggression and race related practices within the military towards African American service members.
- Analyze the impact of microaggressions on physical and psychological functioning and overall health and wellness.
- Identify methods for implementation of diversity equity and inclusion programs and practices in assessment and treatment approaches to reduce the occurrence of race-based stress.
CDR (Sel) Rebecca Miranda, LCSW, BCD. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
CDR Kaarin E. Coe, LCSW. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Debra Nofziger, Psy.D. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Diana C. Dolan, Ph.D. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Kimberly Finney, PsyD., MSCP, MPH. Presenter has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
DHA J-7 staff, Planning Committee Members and reviewers have no financial or non-financial interest to disclose. All faculty members have no financial or non-financial interest to disclose.
- 10.00 ASWBAs a Jointly Accredited Organization, DHA J-7 CEPO is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. DHA J-7 CEPO maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive a maximum of 10.00 ASWB continuing education credits.
- 10.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 10.00 IPCEThis activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners can receive up to 10.00 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change. In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by DHA, J-7, CEPO. DHA, J-7, CEPO is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP), and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to provide continuing education for the health care team.